Friday, October 30, 2009

Brussels Sprout and Sausage Soup



I love soup! If I lived by myself, I would eat soup and only soup. This is a hearty, healthy fall soup that I love to make for Phillip (he is a huge brussels sprout fan). The only problem with soup is that I can never get a very good picture of it.


Ingredients

1 pound brussels sprouts
1/2 pound sausage (I use a chicken sausage with apple that is great)
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 large potatoes
2 bay leaves
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

Preparation

Trim ends off brussels sprouts, remove any damaged external leaves, and cut in half lengthwise. Set aside.

Cut sausage into 1/4-in.-thick slices. Put olive oil and sausage in a medium pot over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is well browned, about 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into roughly 1/2-in. pieces.

When sausage is browned, add bay leaves to the pot. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add potatoes, broth, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Add brussels sprouts. Partially cover pot and reduce heat to low or medium-low to maintain a steady simmer. Cook soup until potatoes and brussels sprouts are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve soup hot.

Source: Sunset, January 2008

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you like Brussel Sprouts, here is a simple and delicious recipe that I use to cook them sometimes. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these!

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/goldencrusted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html