Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Alfredo Sauce

This alfredo sauce is one of the first recipes that I mastered when I started cooking as a teenager, and is now a staple in our family. However, because of its richness it is a special treat, and one that Phillip was very excited to have tonight. It can be served classically over fettuchini, but tonight Phillip & I had it over our favorite new convenience food, lobster ravioli from Sam's Club. I have actually never measured for this recipe before tonight, I just normally taste it until it tastes right. Feel free to add or subtract parmesan cheese to your liking.

Ingredients:

1 half pint heavy cream (also known as whipping cream)
1 stick butter
6 tablespoons parmesan cheese **

Directions:

Add butter and cream to a saute pan. Whisk over medium-high heat until the butter melts and the mixture starts to bubble. Sprinkle in parmesan cheese, just a little at a time (whisk until each addition melts in). Simmer for 3-4 more minutes, whisking constantly. Sauce will thicken as it cools.

** I use kraft parmesan cheese. Yes, the powdery kind in the green container. In all other respects of my life, I am a parmesan cheese snob. I have tried this recipe with fancy imported parmesan cheese, and it just didn't taste right. Feel free to try it either way and see what you think.

No comments: