Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tomato and Goat Cheese Tarts

This weeks Barefoot Bloggers post, chosen by Anne of Anne Strawberry, seemed like it was chosen especially for me. My hubby loves both goat cheese and tomatoes, and I have been meaning to use my mini tart pans that I got as a wedding gift for a long time now. The original recipe called for using puff pastry, but since I wanted to use my tart pans I made a homemade tart shell. They turned out really great, I will definitely make these again, maybe switching up the ingredients.

Savory Tart Shell
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
5 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into small slices
3 to 4 tablespoons ice cold water

Mix together the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture forms pea-sized pieces. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of water over the flour mixture and toss with fork until moistened. Repeat with the remaining water, one tablespoon at a time and gather the dough into a ball with your hand. Do not handle the dough too long. Wrap into a sheet of plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. This will allow the dough to relax and make it easier to roll, keeping it from becoming tough. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface, applying pressure from the center to the edges until it is about 12 inches in diameter. Cut out six 4 inch circles onto the dough and press them into the tart pans (or one 9 inch pan if making a larger tart). Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.

Adapted From: Tartelette

Filling

Good olive oil
4 cups thinly sliced yellow onions (2 large onions)
3 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons dry white wine
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, plus 2 ounces shaved with a vegetable peeler
4 ounces garlic-and-herb goat cheese
1 large tomato, cut into 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
3 tablespoons julienned basil leaves

Preheat oven to 350F.

Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium to low heat and add the onions and garlic. Saute for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are limp and there is almost no moisture remaining in the skillet. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the wine, and thyme and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned. Remove from the heat.

Place 1/4 of the onion mixture on each circle, again staying within the scored edge. Crumble 1 ounce of goat cheese on top of the onions. Place a slice of tomato in the center of each tart. Brush the tomato lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with basil, salt, and pepper. Finally, scatter 4 or 5 shards of Parmesan on each tart.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. Serve hot or warm.

Adapted from: Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics

5 comments:

Suzie said...

Looks scrumptious. We loved this too.

Penny said...

Jamie, What a great idea to use the mini tart pans. I have them also and really like pastry crust better than puff pastry. Will do it next time. I always learn so much from fellow BBs. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Oh I SO wish I had used my mini tart pans! I debated doing so too! I'm jealous.

~Cat

Karen said...

Very cute! I thought these were terrific.

Ashley said...

I have a QUESTION: One of my friends from dental school actually forwarded me the link to your blog and I must say that I am impressed. I only wish I could taste everything that you have made. I aspire to make things like I've seen on your site. So here is my question. I love Barefoot Contessa and I actually am making two of her cake recipes to stack for my daughters first birthday. My only problem is that her recipes call for a different size pan than I want to use. I first consulted her site, but there is no link to ask questions only to place orders. I'm curious if you know how to convert the temperature, time, amount, to cook it appropriately? The first is the Birthday Sheet Cake on pg 216 of her Family Style book. She is making a 12x18 sheet cake, but I would like to make two 12x2 inch round. (I actually attempted to make one 12x2 already. I didn't change the amount of batter, or the temperature, but I kept checking and adding 5 minutes and I eventually lost count...in the end it tasted good, but I feel it could be even better). The second cake is Carrot Cake Cupcakes on pg 204 of Parties. She makes 22 cupcakes, I would like to make two 9x2 and two 6x2. Any ideas? Thanks -Ashley